Last month I was diagnosed by my orthodentist that I have a TMJ or Temporomandibular joint disorder, it is a dislocation of the temporomandibular joint which connects the mandible to the skull. A simple sign of this is the clicking sound when you open your mouth, and according to the wikipedia here are the other symptoms that may cause by TMJ:
- Biting or chewing difficulty or discomfort
- Clicking, popping, or grating sound when opening or closing the mouth
- Dull, aching pain in the face
- Earache (particularly in the morning)
- Headache (particularly in the morning)
- Hearing loss
- Migraine (particularly in the morning)
- Jaw pain or tenderness of the jaw
- Reduced ability to open or close the mouth
- Neck and shoulder pain
As far as I remember, I’ve heard the clicking in my jaw way back in elementary. Since I always joined singing contest in our school, when I belt I have to open up my mouth so that the air and sound can come out smoothly and clearly. I was complaining that sometimes I cannot open up my mouth properly cause I hear a clicking sound and my cousin said that I should not open it wide cause it might get lock.
Now to cure it, my dentist put a splint on my teeth so that it will elevate my bite, then I have to massage my face particularly the jaw part so that the nerves, muscles and ligaments will be in good shape. Then I also have to take vitamin B complex to sooth and strengthen my nerves.
I’m doing this three times every morning.
1. Open oral cavity for 10x
2. Open oral cavity then place the tip of the tongue on your hard palate for 10x
3. Open oral cavity while placing your palm under your chin. Do this for 10x
4. Head sideward left then right 10x
5. Bend head sideward 10x
6. Extend arms sideward then make a small circle
7. Do #6 clockwise
8. Extend arms sideward then make a big circle
9. Do #8 clockwise